For weeks, even months after Courtney, my younger daughter, died, I'd awaken in a darkened room and just lie there. No thoughts, words, or other stimuli pierced the blackness, just the thud of my heart's beat as I listened to my breathing. Alive? I guess. So? On a rare morning, when I'd muster the energy from somewhere (the strength of ancestors?) finally, to sit up and swing my legs to the floor, exhaustion enveloped me. Just like that. I'd sit there, shoulders hunched as if awaiting the next punch or the deluge of drenching tears. I'd sit. An old wall poster, framed in the office of a university president I knew, just flashed across the mirror of my mind. A three-legged stool stood in its center of a wall. At the very top, words declared "Sometimes I sits and thinks," at the foot, they affirmed "And sometimes I just sits." That declaration moored my days. Sometimes, most of the time, I just sat an hour or so. Oftentimes, I'd...
Comments
Post a Comment